Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What size generator to power household fridge/freezer?

Default What size generator to power household fridge/freezer?

Hi all

One of the biggest issues with the blackouts due to the storm is the loss of power to keep food and drinks (especially the beer!) in the fridge and freezer cold. So anyone know what size generator you would need to keep a 2 door fridge/freezer operating? Or at least how to calculate it?

ff
    Where there is water, there is hope... (Freddo Frog 2006)

Not sure on calculations but my 2k gen runs my 510L kelvinator frost free no probs.

FF
    On average when dealing with Generators you need to add up your total power consumption of appliances. and you need to take into account the start up and run in watts needed. eg a laptop need 600-800 watts were a fridge is only 400 watts, a freezer is also 400watts a frypan can be anywhere from 900-1200 watts.
    Look at the watts continuous ratting of the generator to give you a idea if its going to do the job. a small 2.8kva genset woulsd give you 2000watts continuous at 8.3amps. plenty for a fridge and freezer ( plus the tv )
    if you were wanting to power the whole house look at a 7.5kva unit
    Meggs
    When Life Deals You Lemons Use it On Your Fish. It's Delicious.

Good info, thanks for that Raider.

borrowed a mates 3 kva gen and it is powering my fridge and chest freezer no worrys, probably a bit late for you freddo but my laptop has been down too!

cheers for that guys.

No we still have power, just want to investigate the cost of having a backup just in case, must be the boy scout in me, and a new toy is always good fun too!

Anyone know of the top of their head what a 2-3kva gen would cost?

Obviously doesn't have to be flash, just a cheap GMC type one would do the job I imagine.
    Where there is water, there is hope... (Freddo Frog 2006)

Quote Originally Posted by freddofrog View Post
    cheers for that guys.

No we still have power, just want to investigate the cost of having a backup just in case, must be the boy scout in me, and a new toy is always good fun too!

Anyone know of the top of their head what a 2-3kva gen would cost?

Obviously doesn't have to be flash, just a cheap GMC type one would do the job I imagine.
    Hey FF , have a look on ebay.
    I picked up a 2.8 kva gen for $500 delivered.
    Yamaha copy .
    Only use it for black outs / camping , so stuff all really.
    Couldn't be happier with it.
    Hadn't started it for 4 months so thought i better give it a run , first pull and it fired up.
    Wouldn't waste money on a quality brand unless you are hard core camping and use it every weekend.
    Plenty to choose from , even ones with remote controls to start them , now thats lazy..........

last place i worked had a 5000watts (piss off with your KvA crap) for about $900...

a 3Kw genset is about $900 better off buying a engel or waceo fridge for your beer and bait..

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    last place i worked had a 5000watts (piss off with your KvA crap) for about $900...

a 3Kw genset is about $900 better off buying a engel or waceo fridge for your beer and bait..
    Is that 5000watts continuous rating , or maximum .
    What brand ?
    Second hand or new?

The 3kva gen won't give you 5000watts if you are talking about the same gen set mate....

these were austech "scorpion" brand there red ones which are not really suitable to fragile electrical equipment. They were brand new and last years model.
    these were the dy6500L iirc. i think they still have the DY5000l which is rated at 4500watts.

no a 3kva will give you 2500watts.